Saturday, November 23, 2013

Erecting a Tyrannosaurus Rex

When my older daughter was young we had themed Christmases; Safari Christmas, Disco Christmas, Wizard of Oz Christmas...

I thought of picking it up with Dharma and having Cretaceous Christmas, but it was exhausting and costly starting over with decorations every year.  So we are settling for a T-Rex Christmas topiary.  He stands about 52" high and is 78" long.

I started with chicken wire and made the individual body parts:

Abdomen and thighs


Then I started assembly:





Once he was all put together securely, I started to attach branches of an old Christmas tree, and wrapped it in garland to fill in spots:




It took 2 days, and I ended up with so many cuts and scratches from the chicken wire that I looked like I fought a large cat, but this was the finished product:

Dharma with the T-Rex


With the help of some floral wire and poles to stabilize him, the T-Rex was put out front:

Some candy canes were added:

And then we waited for night fall:


I didn't quite like how the candy canes were in front, but as I was moving them, I broke one:


I have some tweaking of the lights to do, but all in all I think  he is cute.

 
VISIT DHARMALAND ON FACEBOOK


No comments:

Post a Comment