Sunday, August 25, 2013

Giant bugs, giant pigs, and lies on the Metra

It was a larger than usual weekend, filled with larger than usual things.  Saturday we went to Morton Arboretum and saw the giant bug sculptures.  They were kind of cool...for bugs.







Sunday I took the girls downtown on the train. Dharma had never been on the Metra, and after her last experience with public transportation, I admit I was a little concerned.  She did good, though.  On the way in she was watched out the window a lot and did not bother anyone around us.  We got onto the bus to head down to Millenium Park once we arrived downtown.  Other than saying (out loud) that the woman across the aisle from us was sitting in a childs seat she behaved pretty well.



She enjoyed the big silver bean, but she enjoyed Crown Fountain even more.  I let her run around and play in the water for quite a while down there because she was having so much fun.  When we were looking at the Tanuki exhibit (these giant pig/alien/bear like creatures with noticeable breasts) Dharma had no shame in pointing out the "features" of each.  She also saw a father and his two teenaged daughters sitting off tot he side by themselves having what appeared to be an in depth conversation.  Dharma joined in.  She just walked over and sat down with them and concentrated on the conversation, before joining in.  Of course they thought this was hilarious.









Then it came time to get back to the station and take the train home.  Which we missed and had to wait 2 hours for the next one.  The girls and I got dinner there and hung out for a while.  When we got on the train, Dharma wanted to sit on the upper level this time.  A young girl (17, 18, 19 maybe) sat down next to her.  The seats are like movie theater seats in that they flop up if you are not sitting in it.  Dharma tried to lay down and the seat her head was on kept closing, so the girl asked her if Dharma wanted her to hold it down.  This turned it into a game.  And a new friend!

Dharma spent the trip talking with this girl.  At one point I heard Dharma talking about a rabbit and I asked "Did she tell you we have a rabbit?"   The girl said "Yes.  And a lizard."  We do not have a rabbit NOR do we have a lizard.  The girls family and friends were sitting across the aisle, and by the time we reached their stop they were all listening to Dharma's stories and laughing.  There was a couple woman on the lower level who I noticed were also looking up and listening to Dharma and laughing when she said something funny. 

A rabbit.  And a lizard.  Really?

2 comments:

  1. What an exciting day!!! I'm that sixteen year old girl that sat next to her in the train. I must say Dharma is the most energetic and kind child I have ever met. Something about the way she talked made me want to learn more about her. She has a pet lizard, a rabbit, and she once met a dinosaur. It's weird to think that if you hadn't missed the train, I wouldn't have met a new friend! I believe everything happens for a reason and I am glad I was able to talk to her. She honestly made my day ten times better and I will never forget those amazing eyes!! Like she said, I hope I am able to see her again even though I live in West Chicago and she lives in the United States.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Elena, thank you so much! Dharma had so much fun on the ride home. Thank you so much for being so nice to her and making her feel so special.

    (and when we got home I asked her about that lizard and rabbit and she told me they did not want to see me right now). lol

    -Emily

    ReplyDelete