Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Orange, not pink

Dharma came to me the other day out of the blue and said, "Mom, my teacher thinks my favorite color is pink."  I replied with, "Okay."

"Well, my favorite color is NOT pink.  It's orange.  Not pink."

"Okay."

"Mom, I am going to have to tell my teacher that my favorite color is not pink."

"Okay Dharma.  Just be polite about it."

"What's polite?"

I laughed and said, "Crazy you would have to ask that.  Polite is being nice.  Don't yell at her.  Just tell her nicely that your favorite color is orange.  This week."

She thought about it and said, "But it's not nice of her to think my favorite color is pink when it's orange.  Does she have to be 'plite'?"

"Dharma, her thinking your favorite color could possibly be pink is not mean.  Just be nice."

"Okay mom.  But she needs to know.  She HAS to know that my favorite color is not pink.  I don't think it's 'plite' of her to think it's pink when it's orange.  Orange, mom.  My favorite color is orange."

"This week, Dharma, yes your favorite color is orange.  But what was your favorite color last week?"

She said, "Blue."

I feel bad for the teacher.  I kind of feel like sending a note warning her of what's possibly to come.

2 comments:

  1. Nothing, NOTHING can prepare that teacher for the irresistible force known as Dharma

    ReplyDelete